Rails West (C64, 5 1/4" Disk) Strategic Simulations, Inc. - 1984 USA, Canada Release
|Media||5 1/4" Disk|
|Publisher(s)||Strategic Simulations, Inc.|
|Category(s)||Entertainment, Simulation, Business Simulation, Railroad Simulation|
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
The Spirit of the Railroad Entrepreneurs
It is 1870. Just a year ago, the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific met in Utah to complete the first great Transcontinental. Now, "Rails West!" gives you the unprecedented opportunity to go back in time and personally engage in the exciting but risky business of railroad development in the West. Like the great 19th Century entrepreneurs- Stanford, Gould, Hill and Huntington- you can start your own railroad corporation by raising money from banks or by selling stocks and bonds. Or you can take over an existing company by purchasing enough shares. No matter how you choose to play the game- and you can play it in a mind boggling number of ways- just make sure you don't overextend yourself and run your company into bankruptcy!
The Goal: The goal is, or course, to win. In the long scenario that spans 1870 to 1900, you can win by either having the greatest personal fortune at the end of the game or by controlling the most viable Transcontinental railroad. In the short scenario, 1890-95, the winner is the one with the largest net worth.
The Operations Phase: Each year the computer determines the economic conditions in the country. A balance sheet is calculated for every railroad. Bankers take action on the outstanding loans.
The Action Phase: This is when you make your moves. You can buy or sell bonds and stocks as you try to increase your wealth. When you have control of a railroad, you will want to maximize its profits. You may choose to build more lines, merge with other railroads under your control, and try to complete the most viable transcontinental.
The End Turn Phase: After you've made your moves, the computer will calculate their outcome and consequences.
Fun and Educational Too! This game can accommodate up to eight companies (players), with as many as four computer controlled if desired. Designed by a historian, Rails West! is a sophisticated simulation that will prove to be fun, intellectually challenging, and educational!
- You can watch the building of the railroad lines on the Hi-Res color map of the West.
- The Player Action Menu shows all the business options open to the entrepreneur.
- After you have control of a railroad, the Railroad Action Menu gives you more options.
- Simulate 19th century speculation in railroad financing.
Create 1 to 8 player companies, up to 4 can be computer controlled.
- Long or short, historical or random scenarios: 4 levels of difficulty.
- Watch building of the railroad lines on Hi-Res color map of the West.
- See accounts and railroad operations statistics as needed.
- Print hard copies of reports if preferred.
- Ability to save the game in progress for continued play later.
- Game manual includes historical background, winning strategies and glossary of business terms.
- Ideal for solitaire, multi-player and classroom use.