Hunt For Red October (PC, 3 1/2" Disk) Slash - 1992 USA, Canada Release
Hunt For Red October
|Media||3 1/2" Disk|
|Category(s)||Entertainment, Simulation, Naval Simulation, Submarine Simulation|
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
The ultimate submarine simulation based on the best-seller by Tom Clancy.
The Americans want her.
The Russians want her back.
The most incredible chase in history is on...
Silently, beneath the chill of Atlantic waters, Russia's ultra-secret missile submarine, the Red October, is heading west.
Red October is the latest Soviet nuclear ballistic missile submarine. Armed with 26 SS-N-20 Seahawk missiles it is capable of destroying 200 cities. It is also the first Soviet submarine equipped with the unique Caterpillar propulsion system making detection nearly impossible.
In this simulation, you are Captain First Rank Marko Ramius, Commander of Red October. Your mission is to reach the United States of America- To defect!
Your first challenge is to negotiate the Reykjanes Ridge, off the Icelandic coast, evading the Soviet Red Banner Fleet pursuing you. Once into the Atlantic you must successfully rendezvous with the US Navy and feign the destruction of Red October. Your crew is not aware of the defection but the Soviet Navy is. Its objective is to stop you- at any cost!
Ahead are many dangers and challenges. To succeed requires all the skill and cunning of the greatest submariner in the Soviet Navy. You have full control on screen of sonar; the unique Caterpillar drive system; attack and search periscopes; torpedoes and more...
Discovery results in confrontation with the most powerful fleet in the world. When to attack? When to hide? When to run? The judgment is yours!
PC MS-DOS 3.1
|Required CPU||XT 8088/8086|
The Slash version includes an envelope containing the 24-page manual, Mission Documents, Ship Recognition Chart, one 3 1/2" disk and may or may not include a Slash registration card. The Slash version can be distinguished from the original Datasoft/Software Toolworks version by these characteristics:
- The Datasoft/Software Toolworks packaging is a printed setup box. The Slash version uses a cheap setup box with a sleeve.
- The Slash version may have a gold 'EXCLUSIVE Slash Corporation DISTRIBUTOR' label on the back lower portion of the box.
- The Slash version only comes with the CGA disk and does not include the EGA/VGA version of the game.
- The Datasoft/Software Toolworks version has a system requirements label on the the lower left front corner of the box wrapping to the left spine of the box. The Slash version has system requirements printed on the bottom left spine of the box.
- The quality of the contents inside the Slash package are of lower quality than the original Datasoft/Software Toolworks release.
- The disk labels on the Slash version are printed on plain white matte label stock.
- The Slash manual and Mission Documents are photocopies on plain paper