Amnesia (PC, 5 1/4" Disk) Electronic Arts - 1986 USA, Canada Release
|Media||5 1/4" Disk|
|Category(s)||Entertainment, Adventure, Text|
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
A text adventure you'll never forget.
A strange woman wants to marry you.
A strange man is trying to kill you.
The State of Texas wants you for murder.
But that's not your problem.
Your real problem is... Amnesia
The nightmare begins in a hotel room in midtown Manhattan. As you take stock of the situation you realize that you have no clothes and no money, and worse still, your memory seems to have been replaced with an unyielding dense fog. But this much you do know: Manhattan is a jungle under the best of circumstances. Putting it simply, if you don't soon discover who you are and what you're doing, you will surely come to an untimely demise. Or worse. Your destiny is completely in your hands...
Suppose you find yourself in Times Square at midnight and you are approached by a gun-toting mugger. You can try to REASON WITH HIM, or simply FIGHT, or even TAKE HIS GUN AND THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE CAN AND SAY "YOUR MAMA" AND THEN RUN. But where can you run to? And where will you find the food, money, or shelter? Gather your wits. You may find puzzling clues to your identity among the byways, landmarks, and characters of New York City.
You may even run into Thomas M. Disch himself as you attempt to untange the threads of your pre-amnesic existance.
Hitchcockian in its intricacy and dark humor, Amnesia will take you on a journey you'll never forget.
Thomas M. Disch is a science fiction writer's science fiction writer. In addition to his 1980 Campbell Award for On Wings of Song, Disch has received major science fiction and fantasy awards in England and Japan.
"A robust writer... a virtuoso." - The New York Times Book Review
"Today no intelligent person dares call him/herself well read without a thorough grounding in Disch's work." - Harlan Ellison
"He tosses off bits of verbal virtuosity the way a fine jazz player tosses off musical phrases." - Chicago Tribune Book World
- 4 Disk sides
- 1,500 Word vocabulary
- Internal clock that keeps track of time as you play, so that at night stores close, muggers emerge, the evening news is televised, and you start to feel hungry and sleepy
- Novel-length manuscript, possibly the largest ever in a major text adventure
- Close to 4,000 separate locations in Manhattan, including 650 streets
- Includes virtually the entire Manhattan subway system
- Recognizes complicated commands in plain English
- Requires money or credit cards to buy food, clothes, hotel rooms, and phone calls
- Unique scoring system awards points for character development, survival, and solving the mystery
- Includes address book, a map of Manhattan, and a tourist guide
PC Boot Software
|Required CPU||XT 8088/8086|