Typhoon Of Steel (PC, 5 1/4" Disk) Strategic Simulations, Inc. - 1988 USA, Canada Release
Typhoon Of Steel
|Media||5 1/4" Disk|
|Publisher(s)||Strategic Simulations, Inc.|
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
A construction set of World War II combat featuring American, Japanese, British and German forces.
Typhoon of Steel is a sequel to the best-selling Panzer Strike! game. The action is so detailed, you'll feel like you're caught in the middle of a banzai charge of the Japanese Army! Each unit symbol represents either on tank/gun or a squad of infantry; each square of the 60 x 60 map, 50 yards.
It also offers so much play flexibility that it qualifies more as a construction set than game. Powerful tools are provided to let you easily create your own maps, troops and missions.
Three theaters are covered: The Pacific Theater (Americans vs. Japanese); the Asian Theater (British vs. Japanese); and European Theater action involving American troops vs. German troops. This tactical game includes practically every ground weapon used in those theaters- from tanks, tank destroyers, and artillery to trucks, mortars and machine guns. Pillboxes, mine fields, dragon's teeth, flamethrowers, and naval gun support are also included.
The ratings for armored vehicles go beyond even SSI's usual high standards for realism. For example, armor is segmented into front and side of hull, front and side of turret, and top. Tracks can also sustain damage.
You can choose to simulate single battles or an entire campaign. The former lets you play against another player or the computer and to depart from the historical setups already provided by making use of the construction features.
The campaign scenario pits you against the computer. It creates the maps and determines the type of battles and offensive/defensive missions. You "buy" tanks, infantry and support units such as artillery and anti-tank guns).
The ultimate objective of the campaign game is to fight- and win- as many battles as possible before the war ends. If you suffer heavy losses during one battle, it will take a long time for you to replace and upgrade your forces before you can fight the next battle.
Typhoon of Steel. It's the best construction set of World War II American, Japanese, British and German combat!
- American forces struggle ashore at Iwo Jima.
- Zoom out for a strategic view of a battle in the bocage...
- Or zoom in for a tactical view of the same battle.
- Sequel to the best-selling Panzer Strike! game.
- Units consist of squads of men or individual tanks and guns.
- Play in one of three fronts: Pacific (American vs. Japanese), Asia (British vs. Japanese), and Europe (Americans vs. Germans).
- Over 200 weapon types from the United States, Britain, Germany and Japan.
- Play one of several historical scenarios or make your own.
- The campaign game feature allows you to lead you units through many battles that can span several years.
Typhoon of Steel was designed by Gary Grigsby whose other SSI works include Panzer Strike!, Kampfgruppe, and Warship.
- Playing time: 30 minutes to 2 hours (single scenario); 5 to 30 hours (campaign game).
- Advanced level.
PC MS-DOS 2.1
|Required CPU||XT 8088/8086|