Descent: Freespace The Great War (PC, CD-ROM) Interplay Productions (040421362738) - 1998 USA, Canada Release
Descent: Freespace The Great War
|Country of Origin||United States of America|
Description from the packaging.
The revolutionary action-space sim from the creators of Descent.
They arrived by the thousands, suddenly and without warning.
The heartless Shivans emerged through subspace near Earth, harboring technology light years ahead of anything seen before. They made no attempt to communicate. They did not respond to your heralds. They simply attacked- and destroyed everything in their path.
As a pilot for the Galactic Terran Alliance you are no stranger to war. But when racing through space to engage your new enemy for the first time, you sense something different. Suddenly, the darkness blankets your craft. Your stomach sinks as your eyes pan across the Shivan flagship's massive body. Then it begins. Swarms of fighters pour from the belly of the flagship and scream toward you. You're about to discover everything you thought you knew about space combat- just changed!
This is the beginning of The Great War.
- 30 Branching single-player missions and 20 multiplayer missions.
- 3 Unique species, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, tactics, ships, and fighting characteristics.
- Over 40 jaw-dropping real-time ships with dynamic lighting, stunning effects, animation and unprecedented levels or realism and detail.
- Create your own detailed missions using "FRED", the fully-featured mission editor.
- Up to 12 players over the Internet plus real-time voice-messaging allows you to send custom messages during multiplayer games.
- Organize "wings" of teammates, track your statistics, ranking, and medals against players from all over Earth with 12 player Internet support.
- Intense dogfight action with over 20 ships flying on screen while you command and redirect up to 11 intelligent squadmates.
- Choose from 8 different fighters and bombers, outfit them with a wide array of advanced weaponry.
- Engage in space combat against massive capital ships with moving, reacting gun turrets that not only fire at you but can be blown off creating new obstacles.
- Advanced artificial intelligence (AI) system created by the same people that made Descent so incredible.
- Selectively target ship subsystems, defensive turrets, and fighter bays with an in-depth combat system.